As Diwali is headed our way, Rashmi and I are trying to share some awesome dessert recipes so your houses are packed with sweetness when the festival arrives (and if you don't celebrate Diwali these go great with the holiday season vibe as well!)
We absolutely LOVE this recipe! It has both - a rich and delicious flavor making it perfect for any festival/holiday! With just a few ingredients, you can make a plate full of these magical bites!
However, our favorite part about this recipe is that the bites have a shelf life of around 3-4 days so they can be prepped in advance (saving you so much time!)
Tips & tricks to master this recipe
We have given you two types of toppings so you can try both or you can try one by one. One thing is sure that once you try this one you can't resist yourself with the other one!
Simple syrup is basically a sweetener that we are applying to make the bites sweeter. It's a simple recipe (scroll down for the recipe or hit command+f on your keyboard and type "simple syrup")
Phyllo sheets are easy to get from stores or you can order on Amazon as well!
This is the sponge cake recipe we use!
Beautiful Creamy Bites
For the main bites:
6 phyllo sheets
2 tbsp ghee or melted butter
1 /2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
For figs topping:
1/2 cup fresh cream
3 tsp icing sugar
8-10 figs sliced
For the chocolate topping:
4-5 milk chocolate pieces
1/4 cup of heavy cream
8-10 small cubes of sponge cake
2 tsp Hersheys chocolate syrup, optional
For simple syrup:
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
A chopstick or long, thin stick.
How to make crispy bites:
1. preheat oven at 190 degrees Celcius. Now take phyllo sheets and we have to take single pieces one by one. Handle these sheets very carefully as they are very easy to get tear-off.
2. In our recipe we are using ghee (Indian butter) but you can use melted butter also. With the help of a brush apply butter on the half sheet, leave the downward edges. now cover this half with leftover half and again apply ghee on it leaving downward edges.
3. Take a chopstick and put it on the top edge of the phyllo sheet and roll the sheet leaving the edges where we don't apply the ghee. Gently squeeze this sheet from both sides to the center. Take out the chopstick very carefully.
4. Now cover one edge of this squeezed sheet put a few drops of water and stick the other end of the sheet to it. In this way, you will get beautiful crispy bites. Repeat this process with other sheets.
5. When all your sheets are done again brush these bites with the ghee. Place them in a baking tray and put the tray in the oven for at least 8-10 minutes. Our crispy bites are ready.
To make simple syrup:
1. In a medium-size bowl boil water and sugar together on medium flame till sugar gets melt. Turn over the stove and let simple syrup cool down, Your simple syrup is made!
method for toppings
1 Take heavy cream add icing sugar to it and whip it with an eggbeater till it gets its peak.
2 In a microwave-safe bowl put heavy cream and chocolate and put this bowl in the microwave for 1 minute. You will get a thick chocolate paste.
How to assemble your bites
1. Take out the crispy bites from the oven. Let them cool down. Once they cool down apply simple syrup to it with the help of a brush. You have to cover the bites with simple syrup nicely as phyllo sheets don't have any flavor.
2. We are doing two types of toppings:
The first one:
1. Take the crispy bite which we already applied simple syrup on and put the chocolate paste in the center of the bite and place a few figs slices. Your chocolate topping crispy bites are ready.
The second topping:
Take the crispy bite which you already applied simple syrup, put some crumbled sponge cake. With the help of a piping bag squeeze whipped cream on it, Put some sponge cake cubes on. We can drip some Hershey's chocolate syrup also.
Ps. Congrats to @anisha_k and @alwaysroaming around for winning our Instagram giveaway! We are doing a second round of the giveaway in a few weeks so if you would like a chance at winning a 210$ (2000 rupees) Amazon gift card make sure you follow us on Instagram to know when it comes out :)